General Artwork Specifications
CMYKHub accepts only PDF finished art with the following specifications:
- Photos and Illustration resolution should be 300dpi
- All colours converted to CMYK (no PMS colours, RGB, LAB etc)
- Fonts should be embedded or outlined
- Crop & bleed marks included
- Minimum 2mm bleed (5mm for booklets)
Please understand that as we are a trade only printer, therefore you will be responsible for checking that your customer’s supplied files are correct. This means we can print and deliver your jobs in the fastest time possible. CMYKHub cannot accept responsibility for errors caused by incorrectly set up files.
PDF’s will remain on our system for 1 week following printing. Due to the high volume of printing we undertake, CMYKHub are not able to offer an archival or retrieval service for client’s artwork.
General Design Tips
Text and non-bleed images should always be kept at least 3mm from the trim line.
Folding & Scoring
To minimise cracking on folded jobs, we recommend scoring the fold lines.
We strongly recommend you use CMYK Rich Black on large areas of black to ensure a nice solid result. A good mixture for CMYK Rich Black on;
- Heavier stock weights use 60 / 40 / 40 / 100
- Lighter stock weights use 30 / 0 / 0 / 100
Business Card Artwork Setup
Setup Please ensure you supply your artwork to us with front and back combined into a single PDF file.
2 Sided Business Cards
- Page 1 will print as Front
- Page 2 will print as Back
NOTE – Gloss and Matt Lamination on 1 side will always be treated to Page 1 of your document.
All card variations require separate a PDF for each kind (not all in one PDF).
Spot UV Business Cards
When ordering Spot UV, we require a 3 Page PDF.
- Page 1 will be the Business Card side which requires the Spot UV to be applied.
- Page 2 will be the Reverse side of the Business Card.
- Page 3 should be Spot UV to be applied to Page 1 ONLY (using a spot colour marked Spot UV).
SCODIX – Design for the Best Results
SCODIX looks best when you follow some basic design fundamentals where often LESS can be MORE when adding SCODIX to your design. There are a few rules to follow to achieve the best result when applying SCODIX.
SCODIX – Trim Areas
SCODIX High Build cannot bleed outside of trim area. (Please leave 3mm from the edge of the SCODIX application to the product trim area)
SCODIX – Score Lines
SCODIX High Build cannot be applied over the score/fold areas of a Presentation Folder. (Please leave 3mm from the SCODIX application to the product score/fold area)
SCODIX – Business Cards
SCODIX Business Card options are only available at 90 x 55mm trim size.
When supplying final artwork, SCODIX artwork should be supplied as an extra page set as 100% Spot Colour named ‘Scodix’.
Things to Avoid
For the best effects, avoid applying SCODIX to thin lines, small text or finely detailed artwork.
How to Setup Your Files
- Open your artwork in Indesign
- Create a new layer for the SCODIX separation
- Select the elements you wish to enhance and duplicate them to the new SCODIX layer
- Create a new colour swatch and name it ‘Scodix’
- Select colour type “Spot Colour”, and convert all SCODIX elements to this spot colour
- SCODIX elements are all set to 100% Opacity
Spot UV Setup
Spot UV can provide a premium result when highlighting a logo, image or bold type by applying these areas with a gloss varnish, or applied as an overprinted PATTERN over solids for a more creative result. When supplying final artwork which requires Spot UV, artwork should be supplied with an extra PDF file which contains all Spot UV elements set as a Spot Colour named ‘Spot UV’. It is important to make sure that this ‘Spot layer’ exported PDF file is identical in all respects to (size, orientation, crop, position of images and text etc.) to your original CMYK artwork.
Things to Avoid
UV varnish can sometimes shift slightly when applied. Avoid applying UV to thin lines, small text or finely detailed artwork.
Spot UV Business Cards
- When ordering Spot UV, we require a 3 Page PDF.
- Page 1 will be the Business Card side which requiring the Spot UV to be applied.
- Page 2 will be the Reverse side of the Card.
- Page 3 should be Spot UV ONLY (as a spot colour marked Spot UV).
- Open your artwork in Indesign.
- Create a new layer for the Spot UV application.
- Select the elements you wish to enhance with Spot UV and duplicate them to the new Spot UV layer.
- Create a NEW colour swatch and name it “Spot UV”.
- Select colour type “Spot Colour”, and convert all Spot UV elements to this new spot color.
- Spot UV elements should all be set to 100% Opacity.
- IMPORTANT – Select all graphics on the Spot UV layer and set them to “Overprint Fill” in the Attributes palette (Window/Output Attributes).
- Select “Overprint Preview” from the ‘View’ menu to CHECK your work.
- Export the Spot UV layer – by turning off all layers except the new Spot UV layer, then export as a single PDF with all trim marks.
- Proceed to export the CMYK file by turning off the Spot UV layer, then export all CMYK layers with trim marks.
- For BUSINESS CARD or SINGLE Page – Combine both Spot UV pdf and the CMYK pdf into a SINGLE PDF – with the last page being the Spot UV.
Diecutting and Forms Setup
When your artwork is laid out, create a new layer called “Perforations”. Choose a bright colour that is not featured in your artwork (100% Magenta works well), then draw dashed lines on “Perforations” layer where you intend the perforations to be placed. Turn off layers except “Perforations” and export the files as a 300dpi PDF with crop and bleed marks. Now turn off the “Perforations” layer and export your artwork as a 300dpi PDF with crop and bleed marks. Upload both files to us for printing.
The reverse mirrors the front so check that your perforations are in the correct location (flipped) on the reverse. Ensure your artwork is centred on each page so perforations line up exactly when flipped.
Book Artwork Setup
Please ensure you supply your artwork to us as individual pages in the PDF, not as spreads e.g. a 16pp booklet should be supplied as one PDF with 16 pages.
Need Help? – Contact our customer support team
Servicing VIC, SA & TAS
03 9455 1911
Servicing NSW & ACT
02 9648 2391
07 3216 5001
Servicing Far North QLD
07 3216 5001
Servicing WA & NT
08 9355 5273